Monday, April 27, 2009

On Friday I got the worst possible call you can ever receive as a teacher. I was sitting in the cafeteria during lunch and my cell phone rang. Now, usually, I never have my cell phone on, but we were about to leave for a track meet so I had all my stuff with me. I looked at the number and noticed that it was the school's main line. I thought that was strange, but then decided it could be one of those automated messages that was advertising the musical that was going on last weekend or something. I answered it and it was our secretary. She told me that she needed me to get one of my students out of lunch, get her books and walk her down to the office. They had just gotten a phone call that my student's father had passed away at work earlier that morning. Time Out. When I signed up to be a teacher, I was thinking about nice long summer breaks, football games and pep rally's. Not moments like this. I wanted to cry and I didn't even know the man. I get my student and we start to walk to the office. Oh yeah...did I mention that they didn't want me to tell the student what was going on? Hello?!? I teach high school here people. These kids can be smart when they want to be...so naturally, my student was very curious as to why I was literally walking her to the office. I told her that I could just wait with her until her mom got to the school. I didn't want to leave her by herself to wonder what in the world was going on. She told me that she wanted me to stay so we waited a few minutes. While I was up there, the secretary informs me that "oops" she got it wrong and it was actually this girl's uncle that had died. Her cousin had already been checked out earlier that morning. Now, I can definitely relate to being close to uncles...I have three that I'm extremely close to, but I'm so glad I didn't tell this poor girl that her father had passed away. Can you imagine? Anyway, her mom gets to the school and picks her up. She informs her of everything (heart attack at 45...terrible!!) and they leave.

Now it's off to the track meet. I'm sitting there watching the high jump event when one of our jumpers starts to go. This is her first time doing this event so she's a little nervous. She runs through two attempts before finally jumping. The problem is that she has made herself so nervous that she actually waits too late to jump. She clears the corner of the mat and land face down on the pavement. Luckily, this was a "rubber" track, but it still knocked her out cold! I'm thinking to myself that she will wake up in a minute but she doesn't. We have to call 911 and an ambulance shows up. Guess who the lucky person was who went with her? Yep...me. And remember...I DON'T DO HOSPITALS!!! So, we're frantically trying to get in touch with a parent and I'm trying to keep up with the ambulance in the head coaches truck. It was not fun. Luckily by the time they got her to the hospital, she was awake and talking. She couldn't remember anything at all about jumping but nothing was broken or anything. They did a CAT scan and everything came back fine. She actually was released and came back to the track meet to see the end of it.

Talk about enough excitement in one day!!!

After all that drama, I was afraid of what the weekend would bring. Luckily, we had a beautiful day on Saturday and we enjoyed a trip to the park and to the indoor swimming pool!! Here's a few pics of our day. Enjoy!

Jillian and Gavin



Jackson...having a not-so-good hair day! This is after we put sun screen on his head!



Austin was so hot that he poured water on himself to cool down!!


Jessica and Jackson swinging


Having fun at the indoor pool!!


2 comments:

Angel said...

Wow, Kate. I'd say your year has been quite unpredictable and adventurous! I really enjoy your blog and your pictures. Your outlook on life and joyful spirit is contagious...and I think the way your family came together is beautiful. Enjoy your summer...

Ali Ivey said...

1. how is it you ALWAYS find yourself in these situations??
2. Love the song playing in the background... really set the tone. Did you know it was the #1 song the year we were born???