Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Out-Smarted by a 10 year old...

This morning, Darin and I were trying to hurry and get everyone out the door at 6:30 so that we could go vote before going to work. When I went in to get the kids up, Austin was already awake and dressed. Usually it's a task to get him up. He loves his sleep, but I think the time change is still tricking him. He got in bed around 8:00 last night just because it was so dark. Hey...works for me!! Anyway, he's sitting on the couch watching TV while Darin and I are getting lunches made. He starts telling us that they had a mock election at his school yesterday and they were going to find out today who won. I asked him if he voted (we won't even go to who he voted for!!) and he said yes but that it didn't matter anyway. I asked him why he felt that way and was telling him (i'm sure i was using my "teacher voice" at this point...) that every vote mattered and that it didn't matter who he voted for as long as he voted. It was at this point that he looked at me and said...

"Kate, we're not the one who chooses the President. The electoral college does."

When did he get this smart? Clearly, I'm NOT smarter than a fifth grader...

No comments: